We have only one planet and it is up to us, each and every one, to look after it as best as we can. As a mother, I want to do the best that I can to look after our Earth for my children, and my children's children. At Milk and Love, we believe in choosing sustainably made products for this reason.
From it's inception, Milk and Love has always considered the environment with every decision we make. One of the most important ways we care for the earth is by choosing suppliers of our breastfeeding clothes and maternity wear that also care about our environment, such as Mothers En Vogue and Love Milk. Our suppliers manufacture our clothes using fabrics that are made with natural fibers as much as possible, and the garments are made in socially responsible factories. Some factories are certified WRAP, others are regularly inspected during the production process.
As a mother, you will also find that natural fibers are generally much more comfortable to wear than synthetics. Particularly when you're pregnant or breastfeeding, you will appreciate breastfeeding clothes or maternity clothes made from natural fabrics that help regulate your body temperature, and wick away moisture. Natural fabrics are also essential for people with skin sensitivities (including babies!).
Some of the fabrics you will find in our breastfeeding and maternity wear include:
- Cotton - A firm favourite for many people, cotton is breathable, durable and absorbs moisture. It also holds colour well, and is great for people with sensitive skin.
- Modal - Made from cellulose from beech trees this gorgeous fabric flows beautifully, and is also very sturdy and durable. This one is also great for nursing as it absorbs moisture well. Most of the Modal used in the range is high quality Lenzing modal.
- Linen - A very traditional fabric derived from Flax plants, Linen is great for warmer weather as it keeps your body super cool. It is a stiffer fabric that doesn't cling, and also doesn't have much 'give'. If you're in between sizes you may need to go for the larger size for styles made with Linen
- Silk - Great for hypoallergenic skin, silk is great for warm and cold weather, and also absorbs moisture well.
Eco fabrics we particularly love:
- Organic Cotton - made without any pesticides or chemicals, organic cotton is good for the environment, and also tends to be stronger and softer than non-organic cotton. It is also a great choice for hypoallergenic skin, as it doesn't contain any residual chemicals.
- Bamboo Rayon - growing in popularity, bamboo clothing is super soft, very lightweight, and great in cold and warm weather due to its breathable and absorbent properties. It is able to be grown quickly and easily without harmful pesticides or chemicals.
- Organic Bamboo - particularly featured in the Love Milk branded clothes, these high quality fabrics are sourced and manufactured in Turkey, which are also abiding by European regulations for workers conditions.
If you would like to know more about any of our range, or about our philosophy in general, please don't hesitate to get in touch.