A new baby arriving earth side is cause for so much celebration. The beginning of new life, of new possibilities and dreams all at once. The tiny little fingers and toes, scrunched up, and those gorgeous eyes that have so much to take in.
At the same time the new parents are starting a completely new phase in their lives. Whether this is their first baby, or fifth baby, or twins or an adoption, their life is changing dramatically. It's big, it's exciting, and it's probably also a little scary.
Sending baby congratulations to the new parents on such a momentous occasion can be challenging to find the right words. We've put together 65 different ways to say congratulations on the arrival to help inspire you and help you put your new baby wishes into words.
Whether you want to post on social media, send a greeting card, or add it to a New Baby Gift Box, or even just to tell the parents in person, we've got you covered!
We'd love to see your new baby greeting messages! Share with us @milkandloveaus
What To Write in a New Baby Card
There are four key elements to include in a new baby card, although you can express them in your own unique way:
- Address the recipient/s. You need to work out if you're sending your card to both of the parents, or just to one of them (e.g. if you want to send something especially for the new mum). For example "Dear Abby and Joseph" or "To the worlds most amazing new parents" or "Dearest darling Susie"
- Add your baby congratulations, for example "Congratulations on your new bundle of joy".
- A message of support for the proud parents. For example "We wish you all the very best"
- Remember to sign off so they know who the card is from! For example "With all our love and prayers, the Thompson Family".
Optional: You might like to include a quote for new parents for inspiration as well, or some other special baby congratulations that are meaningful to you.
How to Congratulate Someone on a New Baby
We like to include a message of best wishes and support for the proud parents on their new bundle of joy. It is an exciting and overwhelming time full of emotion, and your words of support will be appreciated.
Here are some of our favourite ways to congratulate someone on their new baby:
- "Welcome to the world little one. Many congratulations to you all on the safe arrival of your newborn baby. We wish you all the very best."
- "We are so excited for you! You two are going to make wonderful parents and your new baby is so blessed to have you"
- "You have a magical journey ahead of you with your precious baby. We are here for you and know that you are going to be the most amazing family"
- "That one tiny baby can bring so much joy and love into your life is truely remarkable. We hope and pray for happiness and health for you and your newest member."
- "A warm, happy welcome to your new baby and lots of love and healing thoughts to Mum! We hope everyone recovers soon."
- "You are going to be amazing new parents, you're so full of love and warmth. We hope you enjoy these newborn days, and cherish every moment. Raising kids is so rewarding and incredible for all of you".
- "Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. We wish you all the very best in your new journey"
- "Warm wishes to you all on the arrival of your newborn baby. We can't wait to meet the little guy and hope are all well and happy"
- "This is one lucky baby to have you as his/her parents! You're going to be a natural."
- "Many Congratulations! May these tiny little feet tiptoe into your heart and stay there forever"
- "All our best wishes on your new arrival. It is such wonderful news and we pray for much happiness and health for your family."
- "Welcome little one and congrats to Mum and Dad! Wishing you all a lifetime of love, health, laughter and happiness together."
- "May your baby be blessed with good health, love and laughter. Congratulations to you both."
New Baby Boy Wishes
Celebrating a new baby boy is so special. A little boy can bring so much laughter and happiness throughout baby's life, and is a life changing occasion.
Found the best little baby boy gift and need a message for the card? Here are some of our favourite baby messages for a new baby boy to inspire you:
- "Best wishes on your new baby boy! This little guy is going to change your world in the best possible way. We can't wait to meet him."
- "Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy. Heard he is the cutest baby in the hospital. Cannot wait to meet him.”
- "How wonderful it is to hear about your new baby boy. Congratulations to you and the lucky little one!"
- "Congratulations on your gorgeous baby boy! We wish you every happiness. May he be blessed with a lifetime full of love and laughter"
- "May your child be blessed and cradled with love and joy. All the best on the newest addition to your family."
New Baby Girl Wishes
The arrival of a beautiful baby girl is such a blessing for the family. She will bring so much joy and love with her. It is always lovely to include baby girl wishes for both the baby and the parents to celebrate their new arrival. Once you find the perfect New Baby Girl Gift you need the perfect message to go with it!
We love these new baby messages:
- "Congratulations on your sweet baby girl. We wish you so much joy and happiness now and forever. May she be blessed with a lifetime full of love"
- "Warm wishes on your new baby girl. I am so happy for you! If you ever need a helping hand I am just a phone call away!"
- "A little baby girl! Get ready for lots of laughter and noise, big hugs and so many joys. All the best!"
- "Get ready for the journey of a lifetime. Becoming parents for a baby girl is the most blessed experience. Congratulations to you all.”
- "Oh my goodness, we are sooo excited for you both! Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful baby girl."
Funny New Baby Wishes
When the new parents love to joke around and have a laugh it can be fun to send them a funny message! A funny new baby message is a little bit trickier because you also want it to be supportive and uplifting, so take care, and perhaps even ask a mutual friend to check your message before you send it!
These funny new baby wishes made us laugh:
- "Sleep is overrated. You've totally got this"
- "Goodbye tummy bump. Hello sleepless nights and pooey nappies. Jokes aside, you have so much to look forward to. Congrats on your beautiful new baby!"
- "Congratulations on your new alarm clock and let the noise begin! Don't worry, you're going to be great. We can't wait to meet your newest family member!"
- "So glad to hear your mini human arrived happy and ready to party! Sleepness nights have never been for such a great reason. Congratulations!"
- "Amazing people make amazing babies. Your baby already has a head start on life with you guys as her parents! Best wishes to you all."
- "S/he's a very lucky baby to have such amazing parents. You've totally got this"
How to Congratulate Someone On Their Second Child or more
Even if this isn't their first child, it is important to remember that every new baby is a blessing, and a completely new journey to experience. Every child is unique and precious. It is also nice to include a message about the older child because they are also welcoming a new sibling.
We love these baby message ideas to put on your new baby card for experienced parents:
- "Many congratulations on your new family member! What a joy for you all. I bet Sophie is going to be a wonderful big sister!"
- "Wow! Congratulations on your new baby, and high five to Jasper on becoming a new Big Brother. I'm sure he is going to be the best big brother! Best wishes to you all, and please let us know if we can help out at all."
- "You are such amazing parents and we wish you all the joy possible for you and your family as you welcome baby number 2!"
- "God bless you all on your new baby girl. Your children are the most precious jewels to be blessed with."
- "Wishing all of you good health and fond memories on the arrival of the newest member of your family."
Adoptive Parents New Baby Wishes
An adoptive family has often been a long time in coming, with lots of stress and worry leading up to the adoption. You can welcome the new baby girl or baby boy and celebrate the start of their new family in your baby card.
It is nice to offer support as well.
- "Congratulations on your beautiful baby. We are so glad to hear your baby arrived safely home. You're going to make such great parents - a tiny baby surrounded by love."
- "Best wishes on your new child! When a baby arrives in your family there is so much wonder and joy and magical moments to look forward to. We are so happy for you. Congratulations!"
- "You must be over the moon to finally hold your mini human being in your arms! We are sooooo excited for you and are here for you if there is anything we can do to help and support you during this momentous time."
What do you write in a Coworker's Baby Card?
When you're writing in a group card it is nice to offer a message of support as well as congratulations to your co-worker. Consider some of these ideas for inspiration:
- "I am so happy to hear the wonderful news about your new baby! I hope you enjoy your new addition, and I wish you and your family much joy and happiness. Let me know if you need me to help you with anything at work. We can't wait to see your baby pics!"
- "Warm wishes on your new bundle of joy. I hope you enjoy all of those precious moments with your new arrival!"
- "I can think of no greater joy than a new baby. Sending you lots of love for you and your family during this amazing time!"
- "All the best to you for a happy and restful maternity leave. Blessings to you and your family!"
- "Congratulations on your new arrival! I am so happy for your family and wish you all the best."
- "I'll miss you while you're on leave, but I'm so happy you'll have this time with your amazing new baby."
Quotes for New Parents and Words of Wisdom
We love these quotes for new parents for inspiring and uplifting them. They are great to write on your baby card along with your new baby wishes!
- "Babies are bits of stardust, blown from the hand of God." - Larry Barretto
- "A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die" - Mary Mason
- "A baby boy has a special way of bringing out the man in his father and the little boy in his grandfather." - Tanya Masse
- "A baby fills the places in your heart you never knew was empty" - Anon
- ‘Being parents just puts your whole world into perspective. Everything else just disappears.’ - Kate Winslet
- "Making a decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide to forever have your heart go walking around outside of your body" - Elizabeth Stone
- "A new baby is like the beginning of all things - wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities" - Eva Leshan
- "Ten little fingers, ten perfect toes, fill our hearts with love until it overflows" - Anon
- "A baby makes love stronger, the days shorter, the nights longer, savings smaller, and a home happier." - Anon
- "There is no such thing as a perfect parent, but a million ways to be a good one" - Jill Churchill
- "All parents are making it up as they go along. Expect to make mistakes, expect it to be messy, and expect to feel overwhelmed. But in the end, remember that you are exactly the right parents for your child, and that this too shall pass."
- "When you are parents, you will have moments when you feel overwhelmed and exhausted. You will disagree with each other, and you might cry. But remember throughout it all, you are a team and this stage will pass. Be gentle with each other and remember to hug each other every day. You are both learning, and this is one of the hardest transitions of your life. It won't be like this forever. When you reach the other side it will all be worth it."
Whew, that's it! Do you have some favourite new baby wishes you can share? Let us know in the comments below.
About the Author
Corryn is a lover of coffee, hugs and sunshine. Mum of 3 and founder of Milk and Love, Corryn loves chatting to new mums and pregnant mums. She has extensive breastfeeding experience, and is an advocate for gentle parenting, cosleeping and looking after Mum's mental health... read more about Corryn here